Thursday, January 27, 2011

In Memory of Joseph Cook Jr.




Late last week we got word that my cousin Joe Cook had passed away after a long disability resulting from a tragic car accident several years ago.  Given that we were unable to attend the funeral this past Monday (but Tom, Cindy, and Jim were) Debbie and I at least wanted to acknowledge Joe's passing and to express our condolences to his wife Karen, daughters Carolyn and Kristen, his mother Joyce, and sisters Anne and Sue.

I will always remember Joe as the "cool" cousin because he always had the coolest stuff - the first time I ever saw an electronic game - "Pong" - it was at Joe's house.  We thought "Pong" was the height of technological achievement.  He always had the latest music (first time I ever heard a George Harrison solo album - I think it was "My Sweet Lord" from "All Things Must Pass," which would make it 1971).  He seemed to know everybody - there were always a lot of his friends around.  He had a pool table, an electric shuffleboard and as I recall, an electric bowling game down in the basement.  And it was educational - he even had this interesting poster of a young lady with a cowboy hat - and nothing else - on, and I think that was also the first time I ever saw an issue of "Playboy."   He even had a great dog - that big Saint Bernard that (I believe) somebody actually stole.  I was always jealous Jim got to stay the weekend after Christmas or Thanksgiving when family events took place at the Cook house.  It was always an experience.

Just like his Dad, he helped my Mom with legal work, which I knew she really appreciated.

Joe was a lot of fun and he was never boring to be around.  I know his brother Masons gave him a good send-off.

So rest in peace, Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment