Thursday, January 13, 2011

If you have ever watched a Tarzan movie, you have heard a kookaburra...

During their visit here, Tom and Jan were alarmed when I shouted "kookaburra!" while driving down the road.  I spotted the distinctive huge head of the kookaburra on a telephone line.  By the time I backed the car up he was gone.  However, later at Port Stephen one evening we heard them calling to each other.  They actually eat meat.  I have a friend in north Sydney who has two families that live in his back yard and feed at his bird fountain and also come up to the kitchen window and will go inside to get the food set out for them.  The cat is simply bemused by the entire event.  I was just sent this photo of breakfast for the kookaburras:


You may wonder what I mean about the Tarzan movies.  The recording you always hear in the jungle of that crazy-sounding bird is actually a kookaburra.  Australian were puzzled why there were kookaburras in Africa but I suppose there was some soundman who was told to "get some Africa jungle sounds, dammit!" by a Director and hence the kookaburra was transplanted to the deepest darkest.

Get this - the following is from the Cincinnati Zoo's kookaburra:



Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment