Saturday, July 17, 2010

Windstorm on the Back 40 at Hacienda Ikins

Sorry - this one isn't about exotic travel, just the mundane events of life here in Canberra.  I imagine this may only be of interest to our families.  So all you people in Paris (I think there's one of you and while you are very welcome, I would love to know why) tracking this blog, you can skip to the next post unless you are a meteorologist or an insurance claims adjuster.

So the other night I'm sleeping peacefully, Debbie as well, I have one cat asleep under my right arm, the other on opossum alert at the bottom of the bed (the cats have agreed to work in shifts, the ceremonial changing of the watch will probably soon be listed as a Canberra "must-see" by the city tourist office) the winter wind and rain are really giving the skylights a beating and suddenly outside there is a large CRASH.  You know, the kind you hear and you think "something just happened that is going to cost me a lot of money."

"Boy I hope that's not a opossum, because he's a BIG one," I'm thinking to myself.  I headed over to the window and there is our outside sun awning on its side acting like a sail - the wind has flipped it 90 degrees.  Luckily, when we put it up a few months ago I had tied it off to the hedge over the wall so that prevented it from taking off for parts unknown or at least ending up in the lake.














We also had anchored the four legs by placing them in decorative glazed pots
(Bunnings, $7.99 on sale, Lawn and Garden Department) loaded with polished
landscape stones ($4.99 a bag, Bunnings as well).  It lifted three of the legs out
and in the process smashed three pots.  (I'm not looking forward to another
looooong selection process for the replacement pots).














The remains of one of the aformentioned pots.  I've now got all the little rocks swept together in three small piles.  It kind of looks like some sort of artistic installation - to be frank, it couldn't be any stranger than some of the public art I've seen down here.  See the page on Canberra and the, uh, "thing" in front of the National Library.  Then there's that sheep statue on the sedan chair downtown...see the "Strange and large Things" page.

No comments:

Post a Comment