Thursday, June 3, 2010

Dr. Phillip Ikins Passes


Well, I just got word this morning that Uncle Phillip died sometime in the past couple of days. I have been unable to get in touch with Aunt Marion and Laura in Krum, Texas but I'm sure I will. I was able to see Uncle Phil before I left for Australia and I'm glad I did. He was well taken care of. I gave him a copy of the photograph (my sister Cindy took a black and white print and had it tinted) below of the four Ikins brothers just before WWII (L-R: Phillip, William - died in 1944, Thomas - my Dad, who died in 1979, and James, who died in 1984). They're all gone now. Uncle Phil was the last to die of 8 siblings and was also the youngest.

When I talk to the older people in Clinton, Ohio, they all said that Uncle Phil was very smart and was expected to go on to great things, which he did. He became an internationally recognized thoracic surgeon. If you google his name you'll see the evidence in the medical journal articles and the citations of his work.




This photo was clearly taken in the side yard of the house on Main street in Clinton, Ohio because I recognize the buildings in the background.

What many of us may not have known is that he also saw a great deal of combat in WWII. He was a Sergeant in B Company, 271st Infantry Regiment, 69th Infantry Division. He was wounded at the Battle of the Bulge, received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart, then was given a battlefield commission to Second Lieutenant, after which he was transferred to A Company in the same regiment. The 69th was the unit that linked up with the Russians in Germany. I found a copy of the 69th's newsletter from 1992 on the internet and the information is all in there. In fact, Uncle Phil had even written to the newsletter to identify himself in a photograph from the previous newsletter. I know in my Dad's letters to Grandma, most of which I have, even while he was in the Army, Dad worried about his younger brother and once Phil was in the Army as well, worried even more. I would say that in almost every letter Dad wrote Grandma he asks about Phil.

According to the newsletter the 69th's accomplishments included:

FIGHTING 69th BOX SCORE:
• Distance Covered in Combat ... 400 miles
• Towns captured ... more than 1000, including the great city of Leipzig
• German prisoners taken 35,000
• Allied Prisoners Freed ... over 26,500
• Foreign Slaves Liberated ... many thousands
• In addition, the 69th overran one-third of the Nazi's toxic gas supply.

I always remember him as a very sophisticated and intelligent man. I also thought he and Aunt Marion were pretty glamorous. I remember them speeding up to a family gathering in Clinton in a little red sports car (I must have been 10 or so, around 1970).

He also brought back from a trip to England hand-painted "Britain's Limited" toy lead "soldier" sets for both my brother Jim and I; we both still have them - Jim got the "Robin Hood" set and I got the "English Foxhunt" set. I thought that was pretty posh.

So Rest In Peace, Uncle Phil; you certainly didn't have a boring life. And you and Aunt Marion brought two highly accomplished children in their own right, Bill and Laura, into the world. I'm sure that you and Bill and everyone else that's gone are having an interesting conversation right now.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've mentioned Uncle Phil to a friend. I first met your uncle when Cindy and I arrived in Syracuse for our graduate program at the Newhouse School. Uncle Phil and Aunt Marion graciously welcomed me into their home, which became my temporary quarters while I sought someplace permanent to live. Little did I know what I was in for!

    I quickly discovered this was a family that loved their cooking, food and drink, and that Cindy and myself would be part of the kitchen team. Although I'd had an interest in cooking since a fairly young age, it was immersion training in the Ikins' kitchen that sealed my lifelong passion for cooking and enjoying great food and wine.

    Among many dishes, Uncle Phil taught me to make Quiche Jambon. Knowing that my girlfriend was returning from school in France and that I wanted to impress her with a special meal, he carefully typed out and presented me with the recipe on a 5x7 file card (I still have the card!). Come time for the big meal, I got into difficulty with the crust dough. Having carefully reviewed the recipe card and after starting over several times, I finally picked-up the phone and dialed Uncle Phil for a quick consult. He immediately went into culinary triage mode: a rapid series of questions for his struggling chef protege. To my great surprise, upon answering all questions to his satisfaction, he replied, "I'll be right over," and hung-up the phone. I was dumbstruck!

    Ten minutes later he was at my door. He barely took time to meet my girlfriend. There was, after all, a dying quiche in the kitchen requiring culinary resuscitation. I felt like a surgical intern as we rebuilt the crust dough from scratch. As I recall, the issue was ice water. Uncle Phil to the rescue! Just as quickly as he arrived, he was gone! The quiche turned out pretty damn good, too.

    Here he was, renowned thoracic surgeon, taking time on his day off to make sure my quiche dinner wasn't a disaster. I have always fondly remembered that selfless act of kindness.

    There were many great meals prepared and shared with Uncle Phil and Aunt Marion during my year in Syracuse. The wine flowed. A nice Port often followed. But my memory now is not of the food or drink, but of the two people who opened their home and family to me, always with a warm welcome.

    God speed, Uncle Phil. I'm smiling as I think now of our many good times spent together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bill. I intend to release the blog to the family tomorrow (once Debbie has had an opportunity to review). I am hoping that it will be a place where people can share their memories like yours.

    Thanks again -

    Chuck/Charlie Ikins

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, after a week wandering around in the Blogsville wilderness, and with the help of my teenage IT expert, I have finally figured out how to become a follower. I was there, even with my tiny photo, but was "anonymous." What a fate that would be! Hello to Deb & Chuck and to the rest of you followers. Chuck, is this a cult?

    ReplyDelete